Mal Corboy: Top kitchen design tips and 2017 predictions
Kitchen Design Tips
- Begin by creating a scrapbook of ideas. It’s very easy to do this now with social media sites like Instagram and Pinterest. It’s also a good idea to add some of the things you don’t like so you have a clear, big picture idea.
- If you’re planning to hire a designer, make sure you engage one that has the right qualifications. They should be a Certified Kitchen Designer. Also check their design style and see how long they have been doing it to make sure it fits with what you are looking for.
- Don’t get too hung up on the refrigerator, sink and stove design triangle. This layout is now outdated and we tend to design more in zones – for example cleaning, food prep and storage zones.
- Silent rangehoods are becoming more popular in the modern home. They are perfect for every home cook, allowing you to prepare meals in peace without having to worry about the noise. Schweigen offers silent rangehoods that are not only stylish, but also innovative, efficient and premium.
- The kitchen is now the heart of many homes and has become more multi-functional. Take this into consideration when designing your kitchen. Also remember to consider your lifestyle and the type of cooking and food you like, as this has a big impact on the design of your kitchen.
Kitchen Design Predictions
- We will start to see the rise of the smart kitchen where we can control more appliances from our phones.
- Commercial cooking methods will be more widely used in the residential kitchen. For example, the sous vide machines – we’re already seeing this in some appliances.
- The industrial style kitchen will have some subtle changes to make it more refined.
- In terms of kitchen designs, light woodgrains will still be strong this year while the white kitchen takes a back seat, but the trend will never go away and will always remain a classic.
- We are seeing lots of coloured appliances in the overseas market, particularly the US. However, I don’t really see it taking off in Australia or New Zealand anytime soon, but it is worth keeping an eye on.
- As designers, we are talking to our clients a lot more about how they use all their appliances to meet their home life and cultural needs. When it comes to the kitchen, it’s going to be all about personalisation.
Schweigen designs Australia’s most efficient silent rangehoods and has built a reputation in the market by providing innovative, stylish and premium appliances suitable for every Australian household. Mal Corboy is the brand ambassador for Schweigen.